Monday, March 14, 2005

Meet for Study Group at 8? Clean My Dorm at 9:30?

Reuters has a story on a controversy at Harvard where a student has started a company where students can pay their fellow students to clean their dorm room for them.

"The Harvard Crimson newspaper urged students to shun Dormaid, a business launched by Harvard sophomore Michael Kopko that cleans up for messy students.

'By creating yet another differential between the haves and have-nots on campus, Dormaid threatens our student unity,' the Crimson said in an editorial.

'We urge the student body to boycott Dormaid.'"

Not sure how I feel about this service, but I don't think anyone should try to start a boycott of it. If people find it demeaning to clean the dorm rooms of their fellow students, then they should not take the job with Dormaid. I feel that any potential workers will quickly figure out if the pay isn't worth any humiliation that they might encounter. Personally, though, no matter how hard up I would be at school, I would find another way to earn additional funds.

| << Home