Thursday, January 06, 2005

No LA Colts...

I saw this earlier in TMQ, but I thought I would get more details on my own. Apparently the Indianapolis Colts extended their lease for another 30 years. The Fort Wayne Post Gazette gives the details...

I suppose this puts the kibosh on the real possibility of the Colts being the team that makes the move to fill the hole in the 2nd largest media market. This is bad news for me on two fronts. First, since the Colts aren't going to move, this increases the likelihood that the Bills will be the one to move. Their lease lasts a little bit longer, but the NFL WANTS a team in LA and they don't care if putting one there means moving it from a smaller market. Buffalo really is one of the smallest and getting smaller. The upstate NY economy sucks and less and less of each generation stays around. It wouldn’t surprise me if LA Bills rumors start back up in the near future.

Also, I think it's lame that the Colts name is in Indianapolis in the first place. For all the bitching by Browns fans, Baltimore was the originally most-screwed city by franchise movement. There was little public outcry, and the commissioner didn't step in and say we need to expand back to Baltimore with a new Colts like they did for the Browns. Nope, they just didn't have a team for 10-11 years. Now they have a new team, but I bet if you asked most of the people in the town, they will say they would much prefer to have the Colts name back. A move to LA might have facilitated this happening.

| << Home